Monday, October 29, 2007

Irrational Numbers

I am reading an awesome book, "God Created the Integers", compiled and commented by Stephen Hawking. I admit I am not particularly well-versed in mathematics, but I have the (uninformed) opinion that irrational numbers are a side-effect of a fixed-base mathematical system, which can only approximate certain (i.e irrational) values, and not express them definately.

Now, I may be completely wrong, but I am working on a proof that (X * X) = 2, has a rational VBM solution. VBM is a mathematical system that I have developed in which irrational numbers do not exist because irrational numbers are, by their property of having an infinite decimal expansion, undefined (or unspecified) values.

This is a very complicated exercise and I might find out that I am completely mistaken about irrational numbers. But at the end I will hopefully have learnt something.

No comments: